How to make a Frankincense Face Mist or a Face Spritz
I really like Face mists during hot temperatures and Summers.
Instead of washing face multiple times, face mists can be used for
fresh feel.
In general, Face Mist contains Hydrosols, Fruit extracts and Water
in major portion. For soothing and healing benefits, Allantoin,
Panthenol, Aloevera or Humectants like Glycerin, Sodium Lactate
and Propanediol is added.
Back in 2000's, my grand mother used to use Frankincense and
Myrhh in body and pain oils. And also, used it as incense to burn in
charcoal. My dad burn it as incense in charcoal even now. It is said
to have a spiritual awakening feeling and is anti-microbial.
I still feel the aroma of frankincense which I used to feel when my grand ma was around. That
Frankincense and Myrhh aroma always had calming and relaxing feel. (#Feeling
Nostalgia). And that was the reason for using Frankincense and Myrrh infusion. We (my
grandma) call those Sambrani and Guggilam in Telugu.
Nutmeg goes well with this combination. These ingredients have been used in Ayurveda from
ages in treating skin problems.
About the ingredients:
1) Rosemary Hydrosol:
It is known to calm irritations and for soothing benefits.
2) Glycerin:
Natural humectant, easily accessible, draws moisture to the skin. Keeps skin hydrated and
soft.
3) Witch Hazel:
Made from bark and leaves of plant called Hamamelis Virginiana. It is an astringent contains
tannins, a natural astringent.
It is known to help acne and oily skin.
4) Frankincense and Myrrh:
Now that you know it promotes feeling of peace and relaxation, here are few more benefits
you might want to know.
Frankincense is a resin extracted from Boswellia tree found in India, Africa and Middle East.
It is great for oily acne skin. It acts as natural astringent.
Myrrh is also a resin, similar to Frankincense, extracted from Commiphora Myrrha tree.
It is anti- microbial.
5) Nutmeg: (anti-microbial and anti- inflammatory)
It is known for reducing pigmentation.
6) Preservative (Broad Spectrum):
Last but not least, preservative is must if you want to store it for more than a week. Since it
contains all water extracts and botanicals, it is prone to microbial contamination. Add a good
broad spectrum preservative for your skin health.
Note: When we do an infusion, we might not get all of the benefits, but is efficient for DIY. To
get the exact benefits and to know the exact ratio of compounds in it, use the tested extracts
for good efficacy.
Weights and Ratios of Ingredients:
1) Rosemary Hydrosol - 25% - 25 g
2) Witch Hazel- 2.8% - 2.8 g
3) Glycerin- 0.5% - 0.5 g
4) Preservative - 1% - 1 g
Infusion phase: 70.7% - 70.7 g ( Measure after infusion)
Water 80%- 80 g ( Since I will be boiling it for half an hour, I am adding 10% extra to
compensate water loss due to evaporation)
1/4 tsp Frankincense and 1/4 tsp Myrhh powder
1/8 tsp Nutmeg powder
How to make it?
Few people infuse resins whole night or at least for 3 or 4 hours. I cannot infuse it for a long
time on the stove, so I am infusing it only for 40 minutes. You can infuse it even for more
than 40 minutes. But, don't boil Nutmeg for such a long time and don't forget to check the
weight of water after removing from heat. Add any water lost.
Here is the process
1) If you have resins instead of powder, grind it in a Mortar and pestle. Grate Nutmeg if it is
not in powder form. Add resins powder and nutmeg powder in a beaker. Add 80 g of water
into the beaker and boil it for 30-40 minutes or until the resins are dissolved on a double
boiler.
2) Measure Rosemary hydrosol, Witch Hazel, Glycerine and Preservative in other beaker.
3) Once the infusion is done, wait till it comes to room temperature and then add it to the
other beaker which has Rosemary hydrosol and other ingredients.
4) Stir it properly and pour into a mist bottle.
![]() |
| Face mist with a travel size mist bottle 💧 |
Shelf life:
Depending on the preservative/s used, this can be stored for 3 weeks
to 3 months. As stated earlier, for more shelf life, use Hydrosols or
extracts in place of infusion.
When to use it?
I literally apply it whenever I feel tired, dehydrated or hot outside. It
can be sprayed morning before applying makeup and in night before
moisturizer. It can be sprayed in middle of day if is too heat when
travelling outside.
Substitutions:
I don't suggest to substitute the resins.
Rose water can be substituted for Rosemary Hydrosol.
Sodium Lactate or Propanediol can be substituted for Glycerine.
Any Broad Spectrum Preservative can be used.
(I have used Geogard ECT since I only have that right now and I saw it is water soluble in the
documents. But I later realized that its not completely soluble. I shake the mist before
spraying on the face)
Where to Buy Ingredients (Supplier Links)
You can check my page (Where to Buy Cosmetic Ingredients and Containers in India?) for
local supplier details.
Do you want to watch this on Youtube? 👉 Click Here.


Comments